Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shop of the Month - Pretty in Peace

Recently I sat down (virtually of course) with Tameka, the owner of a shop that can I find to be very eclectic and original, Pretty in Peace. There is jewelery for pretty much any occasion, a few pieces in her shop could be worn with formal wear if you dare, because as Pretty in Peace puts it, they are the "anti-bling."

Dot the I: Describe your shop in 5 words:
Pretty in Peace: Classy, sassy, stylish, bold, funky, fun (i went with a list lest i be too verbiose)
D: How long have you been creating jewelery and how did you get started?
P: I've been re-creating forever, that is buying something and taking it apart because the components worked with my vision for another design. designing my own pieces happened accidentally about 1.5 years ago. i picked up some findings from a local crafts store fiddled, photographed and sold it and well, here i am!
D: Where do you find your inspiration?
P:My inspiration comes from everywhere, celebrities, street chic, the machination of my own mind if i actually wore jewelry-i ask myself what would i wear if i wanted to embellish and it just goes from there.
D: This is my favorite...what was you inspiration for this: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13545174
P: I designed the aja bracelet (see photo above) whilst watching national geographic, the tangles, the colors, the organic design are all very intriguing and inspiring to me as an artist, but I'm afraid of bugs-so i creat things that safely reflect my love of all things green textured and organic. (laughs)
D: What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
P: You and i are on the same page with the favorite item! i just love the aja bracelet. it combines an abstract, rustic funkiness with the class, glamour and environmental friendliness of faux pearls.
D: That really is a great bracelet, very stunning. But there are A LOT of jewelery designers on Etsy, What makes you stand out from the rest?
P: Honestly? i don't look at other designer's wares, i don't wear much jewelry-certainly not fashion jewelry, so i have very little outside influence. of course there will be similar styles due to the nature of how supplies are obtained, but otherwise everything you see is representative of Tameka and that in and of itself sets me apart from other Etsians.
D: I agree, I like to think of other Etsians as artists, as our peers. I don't like when we get all caught up in sales and money, sure that's great, but I think self expression is at the heart of Etsy. So when someone makes a purchase from you, how do you want them to feel? P: I like to think when someone purchases a piece of jewelry from pretty in peace, they feel the same sense of progressive fashion and pride i feel upon creating each piece.
D: Thats so nice:), So what's your favorite thing about Etsy?
P: my favorite thing about Etsy is everything. i know it isn't the "in" thing to be part of the cupcake brigade, but truth be told Etsy is a phenomenal business concept and i am grateful to be a part of it. kinks, quirks, and all. Etsy and the relationships I've made there is an integral part of the balance I've acquired between doing what i love and putting food on the table.
D: So true, Etsy is such a great community. Okay now it's word association time! Just for fun :) D: Etsy
P: fun
D: Creative

P: juices

D: haha! night

P: kitchen (it's a sendak book)

D: money

P: shopping

D: Haha, my favorite past time, future
P: bright

D: Indeed, I'm sure your future, and the future of your shop will be very bright! Any last words for our readers?

P: But of course, Live, love, laugh, and be Pretty in Peace. Many thanks.
D: Thank you Tameka, for taking the time to answer my questions. To see more of Pretty in Peace, please visit her shop at: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5210693
and her blog: http://tamekasbuzz.blogspot.com

No comments: